“Flip the Script: When God Redeems Your Story”
From Defeat to Victory
Isaiah 61:1-3 NIV
Isaiah 43:18-19 NIV
Ephesians 2:1-5 NIV
Luke 1:34-37 NIV
1 Samuel 17:4-14
1 Samuel 17:32-33, 38-44
This is the FLIPPING POINT in the story.
• What would you be thinking right now if you didn’t know the story?
• What were the men of Israel thinking?
• Why does the Scripture provide so much detail about how imposing – about how impossible – Goliath was?
•What does He want you to see at this moment in the story?
• It wasn’t just that a little shepherd boy with no armor and a few rocks had little chance of defeating this giant, he had NO chance.
What’s true in this moment?
• Goliath looked absolutely unbeatable.
• The men of Israel were paralyzed with fear.
• Futile human attempts were made to cope – in the form of David stumbling around in Saul’s armor.
1 Samuel 17:45-50
Allow the Lord to “Flip the Script” in your life….
1. Beyond my perspective….
There was more to the story of David and Goliath than we can see.
At the core of redemption is a belief that there is something more happening beneath the surface that I cannot see.
God is working in places that we cannot yet see.
This is not just the mystery of God, it’s the power of God.
There is no such thing as “risk-free” faith.
2. Beyond my battle….
1 Samuel 17:45
David fights not in his own power, but in the power of the living God.
We often see our job to armor up to fight the giants in our lives, but the truth of Scripture is the power of the living God is fighting for us.
3. Beyond my victory…
1 Samuel 17:46-47
In our battles we face the great temptation:
-to elevate “the giant”…
-we see it every day
-its the focus of our thoughts
-sometimes it’s all we see, all we think about
-it’s overwhelming and debilitating
-to elevate self…
-all we see is me
-all we see is my pain
-all we see is my struggle
David was committed, no matter what, to elevate the Living God.
There is victory possible when we focus, first and foremost, on giving God glory no matter what happens.
That is when the power of God begins to “Flip the Script” in our lives.
Surrender transforms my present defeat into my future victory.