The Science of Temptation: Part 1
Temptation has been a reality to all humans since the beginning of time. It lured the fall of mankind; even Jesus faced it! Join us as we discover exactly what temptation is and how God has prepared us to fight it.
They should have been running to God in their need
But instead they HIDE
They should be taking ownership and responsibility
But instead they BLAME
Is temptation a sin?
No, we all face temptation, even Jesus
….a voluntary violation of a known law of God
…a violation of the law of love (because we are people who have been given a choice)
…the act of being enticed to sin
Temptation begins with a desire, which if we aren’t careful, can give birth to sin.
Temptation is anything that promises satisfaction at the cost of obedience.
What was the strategy (science) in the first sin?
What did the serpent know that he used to break down their defenses?
The strategy (science) behind the temptation:
• Humans tend to want.
• They can be coerced into wanting.
• They can be persuaded that they are not getting what they deserve.
• They can be convinced to “want it all” and to act on that want.
• They can be easily convinced that they know better.
• They have the capacity to want something more than they want God.
The serpent didn’t use bad temptation approaches.
Strategies such as the following would likely not have worked on Adam and Eve:
• You should hate God.
• Disobeying God is a good idea.
• Ignore everything God says.
• God is wholly untrustworthy
• Bad things might happen but the risk is worth it
Perhaps the greatest threat temptation poses is that, in the moment, it makes a proposal that seems to make sense.
1 Peter 5:8-9
…affirm God’s truth
What is your foundation?
Who is it that is leading and guiding your life?
…affirm God’s character….
Are you trusting in what you know to be true of God?
…affirm God’s presence….
Isolation breeds destruction
Affirming God’s truth & God’s character will always lead us to affirming His presence
The battle against temptation begins with the choices I make today